What naming convention do you use?

14 points 9 months ago from Josh G., Pixel Pusher

So we all know naming files layout-final.psd is awful because you're going to end up with layout-final-3-final-really-final-final-seriouslythisisthefinal.psd

So I was wondering what is a good convention before the the numeral.

So is something like

clientname-homepage-1.psd the best approach?

How do you name your files?

Sort by:

30 comments

Daryl G., UX Astronaut

layout-final-v3-final-srsly-takeitorleaveitmotherfucker.psd

9 points 9 months ago Reply
Lewis B., UI Designer

I tend to use:

clientname_home-v1a.psd - The use of letters and numbers helps keep revision naming tighter.

7 points 9 months ago Reply
Ryhan H., Joining Dropbox design. Previously Apple.

I use layervault.

5 points 9 months ago Reply
Allan G., Founder at LayerVault

I haven't had to name a file something-final.psd in quite some time. Seems archaic now.

3 points 9 months ago Reply
Tyler H., Designer at Pushd

I use LayerVault and never have to name my files anything funky. Just layout.psd

I only need one file also :P

2 points 9 months ago Reply
Dennis E., Creative Director

Same here. Using dropbox or layer vault freed me from having to make all of these different named files. All taking up space on the HD.

Michael M., UI Designer

I've recently been using Kerem Suer's naming conventions and it works pretty well. http://dribbble.com/shots/1131013-Naming/attachments/144887

2 points 9 months ago Reply
Stefan H., Web & UI Designer

I use something similar myself.

Jeff E., Engineer @ Carrot Edited 9 months ago

I created a small script that takes the pain out of adding "final" to the end of your files, and automates it for you. You should totally use that instead of naming conventions ; )

In a more serious vein, you should honestly never use filenames for versioning. If you want versioning, we have version control systems these days. For example, git or layervault.

1 point 9 months ago Reply
Bart C., Creative Director at Ratio, Seattle

We use a folder called 'Final', this avoids adding 'final' to the filename. Additionally on Mac we color the folder green. But be careful, people on PC won't see this. As for versioning, Dropbox keeps versions every time you save and we work for 100% on Dropbox all the time so our stuff is always backed-up.

1 point 9 months ago Reply

FYI modern operating systems tend to support spaces rather well ;)

Ben G., Freelance Designer

I have a huge and irrational hatred of spaces in filenames. Annoys the hell out of me.

1 point 9 months ago Reply

Think I'm the opposite, underscores always remind me of the 8.3 Windows days.

0 points 9 months ago Reply

+1, makes me want to strangle a bear everytime I encounter filenames using spaces.

Greg C., Websiter

I go with client name + job # + project name + round #

So it I had my 4th project with Oakley for banners designers...

OAK004BANNERDES_RD2.psd

Moeed M., Designer

This is ridiculous.

Daniel G., Design Manager @ cure.org

What is the rationale behind using hyphens or underscores in place of spaces to name psds?

0 points 9 months ago Reply

I'm pretty surprised the majority here doesn't include their initials in the file name.

Moeed M., Designer

Homepage-V1-MM Homepage-V1-R2-MM Product-Single-V1-R5-MM ...

Albert T., Designer, Developer, Photographer | works @ Counsyl

fasdf.psd fdsafasdf.psd fdsfads-v1.psd fkjfdsklafjdsa2(1).psd fkjfdsklafjdsa2(2).psd ohgodsomanyfiles.psd

(jk)

layervault, and for misc other files: yyyymmdd-filename-versionnum.extension

ex: 20130724-contract-v3.pdf 20130724-contract-final.pdf 20130724-expenses.pdf

I do yymmdd first so the useful bits of my filenames all left-align, and so it's easy to sort chronologically by filename.

Daniël v., Designer

A folder named yearmonthday-client-project, with files named yearmonthdate-project.extension

Vincent B., Founder at Pôle Nord Studio

projectname-viewtype-documentversion-revision.extension

example : DesignerNews-OneThread-200.psd and DesignerNews-OneThread-200-REV1.psd

I increment versions by 100 (200 is the 2nd version)

210 would mean a second proposition from me for the previous state, but 200-REV1 means a new version based on feedback from the client on the 200 version.

Jonathan Y., Mobile UX/UI Designer

I always use folders to help keep everything structure. Client > Project > Design > File

They usually appears as ProjectPlatformContentVersion.psd DisneyWebLanding0.1.psd

Final final namings is a schoolboy error and should be avoided.

James S., Designer at Mediaburst

I usually go for something like:

projectnamehomeDDMMYYWIP.psd (work in progress) projectnamehomeDDMMYYAW.psd (final artwork)

It might seem overkill putting the date in there but I find it easier than referring to creation dates in the file meta data.

If I end up creating multiple iterations on single day, I just add 01, 02 etc to the end of the file name.

When folders start getting messy, I just dump all the old WIP files in a sub-folder called "WIP".

Petri P., Designer / Developer

I would recommend using YYYYMMDD. In your example things get messy when sorted by filename:

projectnamehome010813WIP.psd projectnamehome300713WIP.psd projectnamehome310713_WIP.psd

• VS-

projectnamehome20130730WIP.psd projectnamehome20130731WIP.psd projectnamehome20130801_WIP.psd

2 points 9 months ago Reply
Todd S., Web Designer at Centerdrive

Great point Petri. I do this anytime I want to include a date in a a file name, especially if the date is at the beginning.

James S., Designer at Mediaburst

Good call. Many thanks for the tip :)

Max S., Product Design & Engineering at Entelo

Lots of profanity

Sjors T., UX Designer

Clientnamehome01.psd and then going a number up after each client review, in that way the final version is always the highest number. This does mean that if it's decided that after you show version 12, that 06 is much better, you have to save 06 as 13, but that's a small price to pay to avoid final_final.

projectnamev1.0YYYYMMDD.psd - WIP projectnamev1.0YYYYMMDD-final.psd - Final

Good communication with the customer tells me when something is "final". Once I've named a file "-final.psd" and there's any changes made, then I increment the version number in the filename - "projectnamev1.1YYYYMMDD.psd"