Ask DN: Is there a new wallpaper size for iOS 7?

8 points 10 months ago from Kyle A., UI/UX Designer

I wasn't sure considering the paralax effect needs more room on the edges. I haven't found any information about this.

Sort by:

15 comments

Roberto G., UX / Designer, Intexdev Services — @robergd

Panoramic photos works :-) http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/set-panoramic-photo-as-live-wallpaper-ios-7-your-iphone-0147395/

2 points 10 months ago Reply
Kyle A., UI/UX Designer Edited 10 months ago

I'm trying to make wallpapers with the correct dimensions, not photos from a camera.

Tyler H., Designer at Pushd

My unofficial formula to determine the wallpaper size needed.

Make a solid 640x960px wallpaper. Go to settings -> Wallpaper -> Choose Wallpaper -> Choose that 640x960 image. pan/tilt the phone, and you should see some black areas on each edge. Take a screenshot of each edge.

Results - http://tylr.me/image/303E0H0s2p2Q

I was able to get 71px on the top edge and 44px on the right edge.

This roughly tells me that you should add ~140px to the height and ~88px to the width to get a better looking wallpaper.

My rough suggestions for new wallpapers: 640x960 ~> 728x1100 640x1136 ~> 728x1276

2 points 10 months ago Reply

Wonder how it works with more graphical backgrounds, regarding artefacts etc if its transforming a 3D surface.

Chris G., Creative Intern at Casserole Labs

I've tested putting wallpapers on iOS 7. The current situation is that it will stretch any sized image. I've created wallpapers with an increase of 40px on the edges and it still stretches from the center.

To my knowledge, a pixel perfect solution has not been found yet.

0 points 10 months ago Reply

The wider the background the more parallax you get. For example. using one the same size as the screen gives you just a little bit of movement. Setting a panorama photo as your background is a ton (way too much) of parallax movement.

Kyle A., UI/UX Designer

I would agree but I made a wallpaper to test just that. The wallpaper was 800x1200 (I'm on an iPhone 4S with iOS7) and I placed a box in the middle of the wallpaper that is 640x960. When I use the wallpaper it puts the 640x960 in the middle of the screen and not the edges. Therefore it is cropping at some size and it scaled my wallpaper down to meet that criteria.

Marco S., Designer @ The App Business

It doesn't need more room, works with any normal photo.

0 points 10 months ago Reply

Yeh obviously, but that's assuming the photo is already larger than 1136 x 640. If you were to create a wallpaper say, would creating it at 1136 x 640 still be okay? Or would iOS stretch the image in order to show the parallax effect? Etc.

Marco S., Designer @ The App Business

I just tested...if you do 640x1136 it stretches it.

Kyle A., UI/UX Designer

Exactly, I don't want it to stretch. I want to make a pixel perfect wallpaper. It's obviously bigger than the screen resolution because you don't see edges and the image is moving.

Luke C., Product Designer @Crew

Not really too useful here Marco..

Marco S., Designer @ The App Business

Thanks for your useful comment Luke

1 point 10 months ago Reply
Luke C., Product Designer @Crew

If you'd taken the time to understand what the original poster had been saying, that a parallax wallpaper must, by definition, require a larger wallpaper to be pixel-perfect OR require stretching the wallpaper, in effect zooming in on the wallpaper and losing the detail, you might have come up with something a little more useful than 'works with any normal photo'.

Brandon J., Co-founder @ Shipp

Curious to know about this as well.