Dan Eden: You're Good. Get Better. (daneden.me)

37 points about 1 year ago from CJ M., Designer
Sort by:

6 comments

Connor Tomas O., Co-founder at Tomely

If there's one piece of advice Dan gives that I disagree with, it's "Stop Thinking. Start Making." I think many young/emerging/aspiring designers would do well to step back and read up on design history, or spend a little less time making and more time considering why things are done a particular way. It's very easy to get wrapped up in the fad of the moment or unthinkingly copy others if you don't have enough deep stuff to draw on, and getting a stock of that deep stuff requires thinking, and lots of it.

6 points about 1 year ago Reply
Daniel E., Designer at Dropbox

Hi Connor,

You raise an excellent point. I’m just giving that advice with myself as proof that it seems to work. I’ve always been an “act now; learn later” sort of guy, and have only relatively recently begun learning about design theory etc. (I’ve had no formal training, in other words)

Personally, I’ve always learned better by making something, looking back, and deciding what I’d have done differently. The same has gone for my learning design theory.

5 points about 1 year ago Reply
Connor Tomas O., Co-founder at Tomely

Hey Dan!

Totally. I agree with your sentiment (and I also definitely wouldn't classify you as somebody who doesn't put a lot of thought into what you do).

I think too much formal training can be a bad thing, but also... I love how you have that booklist on your site (http://daneden.me/books/), and I sometimes wish emerging designers would make their way through at least a few of those titles (maybe starting with "Design as Art" or "The Shape of Design") instead of just wading through the shallows of online portfolio galleries and picking out the stuff that looks pretty, y'know? I think some small sliver of designers are misinterpreting the "get out there and do stuff!" mantra as synonymous with "books and theories are old and smelly and dumb", which means they end up needlessly reinventing the wheel.

2 points about 1 year ago Reply
Fabe S., Visual Designer at Waymate

I totally agree with you on that point. I always look back to my older designs and notice that, now, I'd have done things completely different.

0 points about 1 year ago Reply

When it said, "Feeling pumped? Confident? Angry? Good. Let’s get started." I was so pumped.

1 point about 1 year ago Reply

I was really inspired by this. I've been stagnating lately and not doing much on the design and development front, which is where I want to lead my life. I'm going to college for it, but this semester I really don't have any creative classes--I've found it extremely easy to just browse social media and do my school work, not really focusing on developing my creative skill.

Today, this article has really shown me that i need to make the most of the free time I've got and actually get out there and get some work done. I'm really excited about what the future holds and what I can accomplish. Thank you, Dan. You are my hero.

0 points about 1 year ago Reply